- Elizabeth Crook, Monday, Monday. New York: Sarah Crichton Books/Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 2014. (Excerpt)
- Guns in America: A Reader, edited by Jan E. Dizard, Robert Merrill Muth, and Stephen P. Andrews, Jr. New York: New York University Press, 1999.
- Grant Duwe. Mass Murder in the United States: A History. Jefferson, NC: McFarland & Company. 2007.
- Pamela Haag. The Gunning of America: Business and the Making of American Gun Culture. New York: Basic Books, 2016.
- Maurice Isserman and Michael Kazin. America Divided: The Civil War of the 1960s. New York: Oxford University Press, 2004.
- Gary Lavergne. A Sniper in the Tower. Denton, Texas: University of North Texas Press, 1997.
- Peter Jan Margry and Cristina Sanchez-Carretero. Grassroots Memorials: The Politics of Memorializing Traumatic Death. 1st ed. New York, NY: Berghahn Books, 2011.
- Ramiro Martinez. They Call Me Ranger Ray: From the UT Tower Sniper to Corruption in South Texas. New Braunfels, Texas: Rio Bravo Publishing, 2005.
- Louise Purbick, Jim Auich, and Graham Dawson, eds. Contested Spaces: Sites, Representations and Histories of Conflict. New York, NY: Palgrave MacMillan, 2007.
- Larry BeSaw. “Tower at Vortex of Victory, Death.” The Austin American-Statesman. August 1, 1976.
- Jo Scott-Coe. “Listening to Kathy.” Catapult. March 30, 2016. https://catapult.co/stories/listening-to-kathy Accessed July 12, 2016.
- Pamela Colloff. “96 Minutes.” Texas Monthly. August 2006. http://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/96-minutes/ Accessed July 14, 2016.
- Thorne Dreyer. “The Spies of Texas.” The Texas Observer. November 17, 2006.
- David Eagleman. “The Brain on Trial.” The Atlantic. July/August 2011. http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2011/07/the-brain-on-trial/308520/ Accessed July 12, 2016.
- Rosa A. Eberly. “’Everywhere You Go, It’s There’: Forgetting and Remembering the University of Texas Tower Shootings.” Framing Public Memory, edited by Kendall R. Philips. Tuscaloosa: University of Alabama Press, 2004, 65-89.
- Reeve Hamilton, “After 48 Years, Whitman’s Unborn Victim Gets a Headstone.” Texas Tribune. August 1, 2014. https://www.texastribune.org/2014/08/01/after-48-years-whitmans-unborn-victim-gets-headsto/ Accessed July 14, 2016
- William Helmer. “The Madman on the Tower.” Texas Monthly. August 1986. http://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/the-madman-on-the-tower/ Accessed July 14, 2016
- Richard Morehead. “The Campus Cops: Traffic, Tricks and Transgressions keep Police Busy Around-the-clock.” Alcalde. 1961.
- Chris Whitcraft. “Killer Told Psychiatrist ‘Shooting People’ Urge.” The Austin American-Statesman. August 3, 1966.
Documents & Other Sources